Translate

5 Jul 2014

fish and fermented bamboo-shoot


I am so happy to be sharing my mum's recipe today. I had to think hard to decide whether or not people would be interested in learning how to cook a dish that can stink up the house before guests arrive. However in defense of this family favorite, I can't help but drool when I smell the pungent aroma of fish and bamboo shoot, followed automatically by a growling stomach.
Last week I got an overwhelming response on facebook from friends and cousins who were eager to learn this recipe. I am happy to say that planning this post has given me more clarity and perspective as to what I would like to be  doing in 2015 atleast. The response from my friends and cousins has made me a more confident cook and I would like to thank every reader for giving me this new bout of confidence. I realize just how much more I have yet to learn. I feel humbled and since this recipe is very close to my heart, I dedicate this post to my Mother (who knows not I have a blog, since I am a full time student!!!).

For this recipe I will be using ingredients which are easily available at INA market in New Delhi. If you have any problem and want to ask me more about substituting certain ingredients then you can mail me at yangloo89@gmail.com, fb friends can inbox or follow me on my personal instagram account yang_abica and ask me anything on the related post.

Ingredients
  • Rohu Fish ( as fresh as possible, and get them cleaned and cut up into 1.5 inches thickness/ two finger thickness) 
  • fermented bambooshoot- 100 gms/ one packet marked Rs. 40/-
  • one large tomato/ 2 medium ones.
  • 12 cloves of garlic
  • fresh chillies  ( I have used some green chillies and some fresh dalle chilly from Sikkim) If you can get hold of raja mircha at INA use only one piece along with some fresh green chilly
  • Dried chilly powder- 1 tsp, I have used smoked raja mircha availabe in Dimapur wednesday market in Nagaland. (substitute with any chilly powder, if unavailable)
  • Mustard oil 



Follow the picture guide!!

In a heavy bottom pot, place your fish like shown below, stack them up if you need to. Don't worry, this dish requires no stirring around. Throw in peeled garlic cloves.

Place the fresh chillies on top.

Last layer, tomatoes and bambooshoot.

This is what smoked raja mircha powder looks like !!

Add 1 teaspoon of chilly powder, salt to taste and drizzle 2 tablespoons of mustard oil.

Add full cup of water to the pot. Now place the pot on the stove on medium heat and cover with a lid for about 20 minutes till the water dries up. DO NOT STIR...be patient and keep an eye for the water to dry up or else it may burn.


After the first cup dries up, add the second cup of water like shown below.


Once the second cup dries up, you may add half a cup and let it cook for about 5 minutes more to form the gravy. Let the dish rest for about half an hour before it is served with hot steamed rice and some boiled beans or boiled cabbage.

I hope you enjoy cooking and sharing this recipe.


Have a great July and remember to cook from your heart !!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks good. Will try to make it. Thanks sathi.

    ReplyDelete