Translate

24 Jul 2014

Kimchi Fried Rice (as promised)

As promised earlier, in my Kimchi post, I am going to show you how to make kimchi fried rice. 

Again, this is a dish which can be made with basic ingredients and is very wholesome. It is perfect for college students and people who don't have too much time to spend in the kitchen. 


ingredients:
  • rice (I have used brown rice for personal consumption, but serve white rice to guests)
  • condiments: sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar and fish sauce (I love fish sauce, adds so much flavour depth and replaces salt,  vegetarians use salt to taste)
  • green onion
  • eggs
  • KIMCHI (should be at least 2 weeks old, fermenting in the fridge...instant kimchi won't work)
  • sesame seeds for garnishing.


Before you start, have everything ready as this is a quick stir fry which will take you 5 minutes.
prep green onions as shown below.

In a pan/wok add one spoon sesame oil and 3 spoons regular vegetable oil and throw in the bulb of the green onion.

Quickly add in the condiments. I don't have exact measurements as I throw in whatever quantity I like based on sight and smell but these are approximates: fish sauce 3 tbsp( be careful its salty), soy 2 tbsp, vinegar 2 tbsp.
Crack 2 eggs into the pan and quickly give it a good shake and stir fry on high heat.













Then add in whatever quantity of kimchi you like and mix well.

Serve hot and make small batches at a time for ease.



For garnishing use any of these or combinations of it!!
  •  gim (see kimchi meat ball post on how to roast gim/seaweed)
  • spam
  • kimchi
  • green onions
  • sesame seeds

This one I had made for my cousins, so it was more special. I used spam or canned ham which is very popular in korea. Add in the spam with the onions in the beginning. Adding spam makes the dish more flavourful but try to avoid canned meat as much as possible :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment