Translate

26 Jan 2015

delhi delights: golden bakery

Happy republic day!!
This is my first Review Post and I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I loved writing it!!
I decided to explore old Delhi today, curious about local bakeries that still bake goodies in makeshift coal ovens and though some have moved on to commercial ovens...they still manage to have an old world charm in taste and style.

The weather was particularly against an outing on the streets and light showers in the morning made it tough to navigate through the slush of kebab gali which opens up directly opposite gate number 1 of the famous Jama Masjid.
Among many others, I decided to taste something from this hole in the wall which called itself 'golden bakery' and  their tag line did indeed hold true!! The man at the counter seemed to be chatty and was generous enough to let me taste a variety of options before I decided on a few to take home with me... all in all, the experience was humbling.... and this I say because neither is this area clean nor do these bakeries have awesome state of the art bakeware and layout and still everyone seemed cheerful!!!

The coconut paratha
This is a sweet, flat bun that is close to a sweet focaccia. Best part of eating it was it's crunchy coconut crust and chewy sweet centre. 
Rs.25/- 


The cake rusk
All of us are familar with rusk and chai...especially elaichi rusk we find at every other stop in India. This is it's cousin, richer and softer because of the eggs and butter in it. This one had a perfect amount of sugar... actually just mildly sweetened. If you are a fan of home made plain cakes. ..you definitely need to try this.
Rs.300/kg



The plain cookie
This simple guy was selected for it's simplicity... don't you just want to dunk them in a glass of cold milk? 
Rs.200/Kg


The macaroon
I know ...I know... but the owner called them macaroons ...I had a good laugh, yet couldn't resist buying them for the sake of reliving old memories. These have coconut in them and are quite popular in my state...atleast they were around 10 years back when I was in middle school. You either love it or hate it... chewy and sweet with more than just a hint of coconut. 
Rs.200/kg


The nan khatai
These are different from the nan khatais you find on the streets all over delhi, especially at paharganj.
These here are makhan nan khatais and go very well with a large mug of coffee. The nan khatai is an Indian delight, sadly a dying art due to impacts of a post liberalised India which has resulted in a globalised food scene. This can very well be a reason for me to visit golden bakery once more before I leave Delhi !!
Rs. 300/kg

Sometimes you find the most amazing eats at the most unexpected places. I always associated old Delhi with mughlai food but I am glad I gave this bakery a shot, despite the terrible weather. It was an amusing experience and I am now lots of cookies richer!









7 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh sathi love your blog and this post has me drooling. You transported me to Delhi streets and I feel like I am walking with you and tasting these treats with you. How I love cake rusk and nankhatai and macaroons. Yummmm❤️❤️ Love your blog posts so much. You have a gift of writing where it takes the reader with you and makes us a part of your journey. Great job my dear. 👏👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading sarah ... means a lot ... encourages me to try harder !! ♥

      Delete
  2. Awesome!!!!!! Big fan of ur blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! awesome yang,.. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u little boo hehehhe hope you are sharpening your kitchen skills ... making aunty proud!!

      Delete